Basavanagudi Aquatic Centre
A non-profit association of volunteers under the banner of the Basavanagudi Aquatic Centre (BAC) was formed on December 7, 1986 under the leadership of Mr. R. Neelakanta Rao Jagdale. Mr. Jagdale has taken keen interest in the activities of the Centre. In the midst of his busy schedule as an industrialist, he has acquired considerable knowledge in the science of swimming training by obtaining certification from the American Swimming coaches Association (ASCA).
The association is registered as a society under the Karnataka state societies ACT 1960. The name of the association has been subsequently changed to Basavangudi Aquatic Centre.
BAC - 25 Years and Beyond
Since December 1986,
- 25 consecutive state team championship awards.
- 2451 medals to the Karnataka state at the National-level Swimming Competitions.
- 285 National records at the National-level Swimming Competitions.
- 123 medals to the country at International-level swimming competitions by around 120 swimmers.
- Over 70 medals to the Karnataka state in the National Games conducted at Poona, Bangalore, Manipur, Hyderabad and Guwahati.
- Three Olympic participants - Nisha Millet (2000), Rehan Poncha (2008). and Gagan Ullalmath (2012)
- Four Arjun Award winners - Nisha Millet, Abhijith J. Rao, Rehan Poncha, and Prasanth Karmakar
- Over 23 Ekalavya Award winners.
- Karnataka Olympic Association Award to the President, Mr. Neelakanta Rao R. Jagdale and head coach, Mr. Pradeep Kumar.
Basavanagudi Aquatic Centre (BAC) is one of the few sports clubs in India, which has completed 25 glorious years and takes pride in being the first swimming organization in Karnataka, where the Public-private Partnership took place and is being executed successfully.
Sitting L-R: P.R. Jayathreetha Rao (Joint Secretary), Ramesh Shankla (E.C. Member), B.H. Sridhar (Vice President), Neelakanta Rao R. Jagdale (President), G.R. Rajanna (Hon. Secretary), Sunder Raj Gupta (Hon. Treasurer), P.G. Gururaja Rao (E.C. Member)
Standing L-R: Rakshit N. Jagdale (E.C. Member), Akhil S. Hiranya (E.C. Member), G.R. Ravi Sandesh (E.C. Member), Ramya Balakrishna (Special Invitee member), P.P. Maiya (E.C. Member)
BAC was started with 20 young and upcoming competitive swimmers in the year 1986. Today, it provides training using scientific methods to more than 500 swimmers on a regular basis, and over 600 swimmers during the weekend programs.
BAC conducts "Learn to Swim” camps during the summer (April and May) and winter (October) seasons to impart basic water safety skills to the children and adults. Over 3000 swimmers aged between 6 to 12 years are taught water safety skills during these camps every year. BAC believes in tapping talented children at young age through their school programs. The Centre is associated with schools in the Basavangudi area and teaches basic swimming skills.
The Centre provides well-maintained and hygienically-clean pool to the general public. The swimming pools at the Centre have been acclaimed as the best maintained swimming pools in the country.
After recognizing the excellent work by the Centre, the Bangalore City Corporation leased the corporation swimming pool at Pampamaha Kavi Road, Basavanagudi, Bangalore to the Centre for a period of three years in the year 1991. The Bangalore City Corporation has further extended the lease period for 30 years for developing the necessary infrastructures. The Centre has built the Elite Swimmer Training Complex comprising of a 20mx25M size training swimming pool and a modern gymnasium for weight training along with other allied facilities beside the main corporation swimming pool. The Elite swimmer training complex was commissioned in the year 1997 with the help of donations from individuals, institutions, and industrial houses.
BAC in Community
- Promote aquatic activities, such as swimming, water polo, diving, triathlon, and synchronized swimming.
- Provide facilities to encourage youngsters in swimming and other aquatic activities.
- Conduct coaching camps to enable swimmers to reach their competitive edge.
- Represent athletes in the aquatic competitions conducted by various associations at District, State, National, and International levels.